Lennox Bridge Info-Popup Historic Notes: Lennox Bridge

The Lennox Bridge, a sandstone single arch bridge across the Parramatta River was designed by and built under the supervision of David Lennox, the first Colonial Superintendent of Bridges using convict labour between 1836 to 1839. The Lennox Bridge is the third oldest surviving masonry bridge in New South Wales. The first was a simple timber footbridge which was destroyed by floods in 1795. The second bridge, called the Gaol Bridge was built on stone piers with timber railings and was completed between 1802 and 1804.

To return to the Parracons Poetry Path, click here!